The pamphlet says pressure to show 'racial sensitivity' may have hindered past investigations (picture unrelated)
By Jack Doyle
PUBLISHED: 00:24 GMT, 6 August 2012 | UPDATED: 00:24 GMT, 6 August 201
Police are failing to investigate crimes committed by ethnic minorities because they fear being branded racist, a report claims.
A pamphlet by think-tank Civitas, released today, says pressure to show racial sensitivity may have been behind the initial failure to properly investigate Asian street grooming gangs in the North of England.
Jon Gower Davies, a former academic, links the failure to police being branded ‘institutionally racist’ by the Macpherson report into the death of Stephen Lawrence, which he says left police ‘shackled’ by bureaucracy.
This year a gang from Rochdale were jailed for plying teenage girls with alcohol before raping them.
All but one gang member was of an Asian Pakistani background.
- More than one in four young people believe that last summer's riots could be repeated this year
- 'It's all lies!': Leader of sex gang ejected from dock as he yells at judge jailing him for 'campaign of rape' against young girl
- Nine in ten rapes go unreported, law chief admits as campaigners warn convictions are only the tip of the iceberg
A former Labour MP, Ann Cryer, said the police failed to investigate properly because they were ‘petrified’ of being branded racist.
- 'Racist' to Remember the Victims of the 1972 Olympic Jihad Attacks?
- 'Son who pelted Jews with eggs is no racist'
- Please look and listen! Taliban murders woman for adultery because they raped her!
- Belgium Shaken By Ramadan Crime Wave: Threats of Grenade Attacks on Public Buildings
- The Temple Institute: Do Not Fear
- Abu Jindal has no remorse for Mumbai carnage, say investigators
- US fears major Iranian threat in Persian Gulf
- Rape jihad in Denmark: More than half of all convicted rapists have immigrant backgrounds. Iraqis, Iranians, Turks and Somalis dramatically overrepresented...
- Video, Michael Coren: Jackass muslim preacher blames rape victims
- Saudi ministry asks imams to stop praying for the destruction of Jews and Christians