Defender or jailer? Maria Bashir, pictured with with First Lady Michelle Obama U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, has jailed more than 100 women for adultery in Afghanistan
- More than 50% of women jailed for adultery in Afghanistan come from province prosecuted by Ms Bashir - which holds just 20% of the population
PUBLISHED: 10:44 GMT, 22 October 2012 | UPDATED: 11:49 GMT, 22 October 2012
Last year she was hailed as one of the most influential people in the world - a defender of women's rights as Afghanistan's only female head prosecutor.
Ms Bashir has been lauded by both Michelle Obama and Hilary Clinton - and she was one of ten women to receive a 'Women of Courage' Award in Washington last year.
But Maria Bashir's reputation is now in doubt after the Times revealed that Ms Bashir is also the most prolific prosecutor of women for Afghanistan's so-called 'moral' crimes, such as adultery.
While Ms Bashir campaigns against abuse husbands, more than half of the 172 women jailed in Afghanistan for sex outside of marriage (known as 'zina') have come from her province.
Last week Ms Bashir, who became lead prosecutor in 2006, and has prosecuted nearly a thord of the 78 women jailed for murder in Afghanistan, was promoted to become Herat's attorney-general.
- Ah... Hillary the Muhammad Film You Called "Disgusting and Reprehensible" is Based on Islamic Sources
- Exploring Hillary Clinton's Sticky Icky Connection w/ Muslim Brotherhood Sister Huma Abedin
- Afghanistan: 100 lashes for teen shows why climate of violence against women must be tackled
- Blasphemy: The Obama Assault on 'Inalienable Rights'
- Behind Muslim "Hurt Feelings" Is Islamic Law
- Parashah Vayeilech / "And he went..." Devarim/Deuteronomy 31:1 - 30
- Mali Islamists targeting women - UN
- Egyptian women battle harassment on the streets
- Obama report: "Better for the U.S. that Israel will cease to exist"